Enterprise Centre

8:30 am - 4:30 pm

Open Monday to Friday


Federal Registration –
HST, Payroll, Import/Export, Corporate Tax

You will need to create a business number with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) if you incorporate your business, charge HST, hire employees or import/export products for your business. The CRA issues one 9-digit account number for your business, followed by an identifier for the type of account (HST, Payroll, etc.). Click here to obtain additional information on creating a business account with the CRA.


Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)

The Harmonized Sales Tax came into effect in Ontario on July 1, 2010 and applies to most purchases and transactions. The 13% replaces the federal Goods and Services Tax and the Provincial Sales Tax. Every business or person engaged in a commercial activity is required to register for HST if their total gross revenue exceeds $30,000 in any four consecutive calendar quarters (12 month period). You can voluntarily register for HST if your revenues are less than $30,000. Once you register for HST, you must charge HST to your customers. For more information on HST click on the following link:  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/menu-eng.html



Businesses that have employees are required to register for a payroll account with the Canada Revenue Agency and remit their Canada Pension Plan contributions, Employment Insurance contributions, and Income Tax on a regular basis – typically monthly. For more information on Payroll click on the following link:  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/pyrll/menu-eng.html. The CRA also provides a useful online payroll calculator that helps you determine all the source deductions including the employer portions.


Corporate Income Tax Number

All registered corporations require a corporate income tax number. This number is your identification number with the Canada Revenue Agency and is utilized when filing your corporate income tax return. In most cases, new corporations will automatically receive a BN from the CRA within 45 days of incorporating at the federal or provincial level. For more information click on the following link:  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/crprtns/menu-eng.html



If your business will be importing commercial shipments from a foreign country, or exporting commercial goods to other countries, you must register for an import/export account. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) utilizes the import/export account number to process customs documents. To avoid delays in releasing your goods at the border, open your account before you import or export goods.



The Canada Revenue Agency offers free videos on topics such as payroll , starting a business, keeping records, reporting business income and expenses, and preparing an income tax and benefit return .

Canada Business Ontario publishes a free Taxation Guide that provides an overview of the different taxes that may affect your business and provide you with information on tools, programs and services that can help you meet your business tax obligations.