Enterprise Centre

8:30 am - 4:30 pm

Open Monday to Friday


Other Licenses and Administrative Authorities

Many businesses including daycares, restaurants, manufacturers and some retail outlets may be subject to special licenses. It is important to contact the appropriate department or agency to determine if any special licensing requirements that apply to your business.

For more information on special licenses, visit the Service Ontario Website at www.serviceontario.ca, or Canada Business Ontario at www.canadabusiness.ca or 1-888-745-8888. Canada Business has a free Business Regulation Guide that provides an overview of additional regulations that may affect your business.

A summary special licensing authorities is provided below.

Department/Agency Area of Responsibility
Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit
www.simcoemuskokahealth.org              Grey Bruce Health Unit
Businesses in Simcoe County that prepare or sell food must be inspected by the Health Unit. If you prepare your food for sale, a separate kitchen is required.
County of Simcoe, Children and Community Services Department
simcoe.ca                                             Grey County Children’s Services
Provides inspection and training to assist home day care providers.
Ministry of Children and Youth Services
Home Child Care is licensed by the Ministry of Children and Youth Services to administer the operation of home child care programs in accordance with the Day Nurseries Act.
Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority
Partners with Watershed Municipalities, provincial/federal agencies, Conservation Ontario, and other interested stakeholders to achieve mutual goals. The Conservation Authority is a public agency dedicated to the preservation of a healthy environment. The NVCA provides the expertise to help protect water and land within a designated area.
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
Administers the Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code. Also publishes the Land Use Planning Guide.
Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario
The AGCO is responsible for the administration of the following:

  • Alcohol and Gaming Regulation and Public Protection Act
  • Liquor Licence Act
  • Gaming Control Act
  • Wine Content and Labelling Act
  • Liquor Control Act
  • Charity Lottery Licensing Order
Technical Standards and Safety Authority
Delivers public safety services on behalf of the government of Ontario in four key sectors:• boilers and pressure vessels, and operating engineers;

  • elevating devices, amusement devices and ski lifts;
  • fuels; and,
  • upholstered and stuffed articles.
Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council
The Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council
enforces the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act (MVDA).
The Travel Industry Council of Ontario
The Travel Industry Council of Ontario (TICO) administers the Ontario Travel Industry Act which governs all travel retailers and wholesalers registered in Ontario. In addition, TICO administers an industry-financed Travel Compensation Fund.
The Electrical Safety Authority
ESA is responsible for administering specific regulations related to the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, licensing of Electrical Contractors and Master Electricians, electricity distribution system safety, and electrical product safety.
Canada Food Inspection Agency
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (or CFIA) is a science based regulatory agency that is dedicated to the safeguarding of food, animals, and plants, which enhance the health and well-being of Canada’s people, environment and economy.
Competition Bureau Canada
The Competition Bureau, as an independent law enforcement agency, ensures that Canadian businesses and consumers prosper in a competitive and innovative marketplace. Administers relations with respect to clothing labels, and packaging and labeling of non-food products
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
The mandate of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada is to manage Canada’s diplomatic and consular relations and to encourage the country’s international trade.  Responsible for regulations with respect to agricultural products, steel, clothing & textiles, etc. Also provides a guide that includes up-to-date information on legal issues, the basics of export financing, labeling and marketing, packaging U.S. Border security, and dealing with U.S. Customs.
Canadian Border Services Agency
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) ensures the security and prosperity of Canada by managing the access of people and goods to and from Canada. The Agency’s legislative, regulatory and partnership responsibilities include the following:

  • administering legislation that governs the admissibility of people and goods, plants and animals into and out of Canada
  • promoting Canadian business and economic benefits by administering trade legislation and trade agreements to meet Canada’s international obligations

Exports have to be reported to the Canadian Border Services Agency

Health Canada
Federal Government department responsible for administering health-related legislation and activities, including consumer goods, pesticides, drugs, foods, medical devices, natural health products, etc.
Transport Canada
Transport Canada is the federal department responsible for most of the transportation policies, programs and goals of the Government of Canada. Responsible for rail, airport/aviation, transportation of dangerous goods, rail, etc.
Canada Post Corporation
Responsible for delivering mail products across Canada. Provides assistance with non-mailable matter (such as flammable liquids). Provides marketing services for businesses through their Direct Mail service.